Wednesday, June 29, 2011

To Dutch, or not to Dutch...

My original ACC outer layer plan was to make a Dutch Cloak. Now... I may be waffling on that idea. I may lean toward a shoulder cape instead. Forgive the image quality below - I took photos of a book with my phone as my scanner is not hooked up at the moment.

Dutch Cloak (cappotto):

Versus Shoulder Cape (mantelline):

The Dutch Cloak typically had sleeves, and covered the hips, so is slightly longer than a shoulder cape. They are both circular, and are both found in Eleonora di Toledo's Guardaroba in Moda a Firenze.

My fabrics are a plum brocade with gold dragonfly details, a lovely textured gold brocade for trimming and possibly sleeves (undetermined), and gold satin to line it. As this will be designed for warmth, I anticipate interlining this with something yet undetermined. I also have a vintage blonde mink collar which I might be able to integrate somehow, but perhaps not as the necklines are all quite square, and it is a round collar.


At the moment I'm leaning toward the mantelline, because I'm liking the lines of the slightly shorter cloak better. But I'm not quite convinced. Opinions?

2 comments:

  1. I like the short mantle as well.  What are the sleeves going to look like on the dress?  I think that could play into the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point.  I'm planning on simple narrow sleeves - not sure if I'm going to pane them or not, but they will be similar to most of Eleonora's sleeves including her burial and Pisa gowns, and the famous Bronzino damask gown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eleanora_of_Toledo.jpg, complete with smallish sleeve head poofs (whose names I can't recall at this moment in time, Blam! stupid brain)

    ReplyDelete