Monday, May 9, 2011

Project: Kirtle

For quite some time I've been planning to make a chocolate brown linen kirtle, side back-lacing, like this beauty, painted by Orazio Gentileschi:

I Plan to use this versatile garment in a number of different ways by dressing it up with different accessories. A variety of parlets, sleeves, jackets and overgowns will make this a staple in my wardrobe. I have two or three different fabrics that will make splendid camicias and/or partlets with little hand-work involved. These will be ideal for the camping season, where nature can be detrimental and disastrous to certain labors at times. I would hate to spend dozens of hours hand-couching a partlet only to have it destroyed by a stain while camping.

I spent time yesterday with Serafina, who helped drape a pattern for me (one of these days, I really will get a dress form so I can do such things on my own, but for now this is an excellent excuse to go visit my lovely friend). So, with bodice pattern in hand, now I can start the process of garbing myself for the summer.

1 comment: