Monday, May 16, 2011

Progress Photographs

Blogger kindly made my post about linen Norse pants go away. Remind me to send a card. Heh.

Ah well, today I have nothing to report as to the progress of said pants due to the insanely busy weekend I had which included guests visiting and the flurry of cleaning that always happens when guests are expected.

Instead, today I'd like to discuss the fine art of progress documentation. No matter what art form you practice, there is not only nostalgia involved with reviewing photographs you may have taken during the course of creating something, but other reasons as well.


I stumbled across this rare photo of a scroll in-progress, circa 2005. I say rare, because I didn't take progress shots except a small handful of times. This particular piece, however, was much more of a time investment than any other piece I'd done to date, and I had my camera handy, so I took one on a whim.

Why would seeing this be of use to anyone? Well, for starters, you can see the techniques I used for spacing and *very* rough sketching - something you cannot see in the final product. It can be used as a learning tool, and a reminder of some things *not* to do. For example, I saved the miniature along the top border as the last thing to paint. This was the most important part of the scroll, containing imagery important to the award itself... (Gold Scarf of Artemisia - a rapier award), but I had run out of time, and to this day, I hate how it ended up because I rushed in the end.

Lesson learned: do not wait to do important parts of the scroll... do them first.

Gold Scarf - Daniel d\'Aurelle

1 comment: