Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Progression

My Sottana is progressing nicely, if slowly.  Them hem turned out a smidge shorter than I wanted, but it is passable. Apparently my dress form settled down a little and is now a bit shorter than me.  Didn't think that would be possible.

As you can see, the padded hem holds the hem out in a pretty graceful line despite how flimsy and drapey (is drapey a word?) this fabric is.  I would definitely do it again, but next time in an even stiffer fabric.  This is simply a strip of felt tucked into the fashion fabric as it's turned under, resulting in about three layers of the fashion fabric, and one layer of felt.  This damask is a pain in that it does not hold crisp lines, so despite the steaming and pressing I did, it still looks somewhat unpressed at the hem.  I'll give it another go to see if I can clean it up further.


As you can see, I have added a bit of ivory braid to the neckline in order to try to give it a more finished look.  I was unhappy with it previously due to the aforementioned problem with it not pressing well.  Yes, the skirt is hanging funny in the front.  This is largely due to the felt padding in the pleats.  It looks different on my body than on this skinny form.  I do need to do some alteration at the flat/unpleated section in the front though, as it is pulling to one side.  Not too pleased about that one, but c'est la vie.


I have made a decision about my sleeves, and did the necessary patterning for them last night.

I spent the weekend fighting with my partlet.  My silk organza is not as stiff as I'd liked, and my plans to hold it to a stretch frame without damaging the delicate fabric ended up less than successful.  I also struggled with getting my pattern laid onto the fabric, which resulted in lines which were less than straight as I couched my silk cords down. After some exhaustion in fighting with the thing, I have put that on the back burner while I do my sleeves and a quick "alternate" partlet, using the same pattern with different fabric.  It's good to test the pattern anyway, right?  And who doesn't need more partlets?

I had hoped to have everything done and ready to wear to Solstice Court, and that's not looking feasible at this point.  However, perhaps I will have enough done to be dressed in an entirely new gown, even if it's not in line with my original vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment