Thursday, June 7, 2012

Those who do not Craft, Shop.

Quest has come and gone, and was a most excellently fun event, despite the seriously craptastic weather.  Between wind and torrential rain, we were cold and wet all weekend.  But we had awesome company, great conversation, and a fire pit to ward off the chills a bit.

My goal was to get a photograph of Sven in his red and black tunic that I made last year (but yet to have a picture of), but alas it was not meant to happen.

I am partly done with one scroll that has been in my queue since April (shame).  It is to be given out at Uprising, so this weekend is slated to do a lot of painting.  Pictures will follow after it has been awarded.  This is my first experience working on pergamenata, and it has been interesting.  A full review to follow later.

I am super excited to share with you my latest shopping haul.


I have been massively in love with early Tudor styles for years, so The Queen's Servants was a must-have.  I expect it will take me quite some time to actually make something from it, but now I have the book in order to do so.

I'm so stoked about scoring a copy of Old Italian Patterns for Linen Embroidery.  This is a rare piece.  I struggle calling it a book since really it's a book shaped folder full of loose-leaf patterns that are tied into place. with this really cool bound envelope dealio.  Really, I should have taken photos of the inside...

I drooled upon Noelle's copy (and even made copies of a few of my favorite patterns, but they were destroyed in the craft studio flood a year and a half ago (the photocopies, not Noelle's original - I'd just die!).  It's a difficult "book" to find, and when you can find it, it's usually quite expensive.  That was my experience, anyway.  After a year or so of looking (and only finding it in the $100 + range), I found one for $30.  It took about 0.35 seconds to click BUY.  I believe there are a few more copies out there on Amazon if anyone's interested.


9 comments:

  1. FiamettatrastevereJune 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

    ORDERED!!

    Thanks for the info, I'm so so so in love with freehand embroidery so hopefully this will be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I looked up  pergamenata, is it a special type of paper for scroll work? Just curious

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love it.  Beware of kidlet though - I'd hate to see those loose-leaf patterns walk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of like a vegetable vellum.  It has properties similar to vellum, but without the cost of actual vellum.  It is semi-translucent, so laying a ton of paint can cause buckling or curling, but has a nice thickness that is great for scrolls.  Ink lays nicely on the surface, and presumably can be scraped or sanded off without significant damage to the paper.  

    It is still somewhat expensive, but still quite comparable to high quality papers and far less than parchment or vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FiamettatrastevereJune 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

    All of my super special books and other assorted stuff of a *NO TOUCH* nature gets put on a high shelf in a closet she can't open :)

    I's a smart mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. FiamettatrastevereJune 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

    I bought the starter pack from John Neal and split it with Patience/Malatesta.. I'll admit.. I'm super DUPER scared to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats cool, given the price of vellum it sounds like a better alternative for the cost. Do you have to be very careful with the wetness of the paint on it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bit, yes. Though just the act of working on it seems to make the edges curl up.  I think it hates any sort of humidity and definitely hates body oils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's quite nice to work with.  Did you pick up any pounce?  I highly recommend it.  Also, work with archival gloves (speaking from experience here).  I cut half of the thumb and first two fingers off my working hand so I can be tactile with the brushes/pens, but the paper is protected from the rest of my hands (full glove on the left).  I picked up a box 1 doz. pairs on amazon for about $10.  Well worth it.  Also, weigh down the corners every night when you're done working because the things tend to want to curl like a potato bug, no matter how little you've worked with it.

    ReplyDelete