Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Laurel/Apprentice Relationships

My lovely and dear friend Mistress Bethany took a new apprentice on Saturday at Baron's War. You can click here to view an album of pics which includes this event.

I was standing next to the lovely and talented Fiametta da Trastavere, who was explaining to someone standing nearby what an important step this is for an artist, and what a memorable moment it is for those involved. I remember turning and nodding in complete agreement and noting that I often feel jealous because I never got that. Fia pointed at my laurel medallion saying, "but you got that." Have I mentioned that I sometimes have a tendency to be socially awkward?

This got me thinking about the journey I chose and how I can help other artists more than I have been. I chose not to ask for apprenticeship of a laurel, so if I feel jealous that I didn't have "that" relationship, it's my own fault. I made this choice for very personal reasons including my mundane situation, and my own goals. I wanted to work on my craft for my own personal satisfaction, and if it led to something bigger, then so be it. Another reason, though small when added to the hat of reasons, was that I'm obscenely shy (no, really), and asking someone would likely have given me a heart attack.

I fully support and admire Laurel/Apprentice relationships, and would love to nurture them now that I'm in different circumstances. That said, I have some thoughts on the matter.

  1. I will teach anyone who wishes to learn; an official relationship is a personal choice and something to consider on a case-by-case basis. One does not have to be an apprentice to ask me questions and learn.
  2. I will probably not seek out apprentices; I will not make broad presumptions and ask others. That said, I am open to those approaching me - consider this an invitation to ask me.
  3. Being an apprentice does not mean you will become a Laurel. That is a personal journey to which I can help guide and advise, but there are no guarantees.
  4. I am a scribal arts Laurel, who does some dabbling in costuming and embroidery.  How much I can teach you will be very limited unless your areas of interest somewhat match my own. (Though I am willing to help match you to those who are masters of their craft in your area of interest.)
  5. In the SCA, you will get out of it what you put into it.  
  6. If you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong.