Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Laurel/Apprentice Relationships

My lovely and dear friend Mistress Bethany took a new apprentice on Saturday at Baron's War. You can click here to view an album of pics which includes this event.

I was standing next to the lovely and talented Fiametta da Trastavere, who was explaining to someone standing nearby what an important step this is for an artist, and what a memorable moment it is for those involved. I remember turning and nodding in complete agreement and noting that I often feel jealous because I never got that. Fia pointed at my laurel medallion saying, "but you got that." Have I mentioned that I sometimes have a tendency to be socially awkward?

This got me thinking about the journey I chose and how I can help other artists more than I have been. I chose not to ask for apprenticeship of a laurel, so if I feel jealous that I didn't have "that" relationship, it's my own fault. I made this choice for very personal reasons including my mundane situation, and my own goals. I wanted to work on my craft for my own personal satisfaction, and if it led to something bigger, then so be it. Another reason, though small when added to the hat of reasons, was that I'm obscenely shy (no, really), and asking someone would likely have given me a heart attack.

I fully support and admire Laurel/Apprentice relationships, and would love to nurture them now that I'm in different circumstances. That said, I have some thoughts on the matter.

  1. I will teach anyone who wishes to learn; an official relationship is a personal choice and something to consider on a case-by-case basis. One does not have to be an apprentice to ask me questions and learn.
  2. I will probably not seek out apprentices; I will not make broad presumptions and ask others. That said, I am open to those approaching me - consider this an invitation to ask me.
  3. Being an apprentice does not mean you will become a Laurel. That is a personal journey to which I can help guide and advise, but there are no guarantees.
  4. I am a scribal arts Laurel, who does some dabbling in costuming and embroidery.  How much I can teach you will be very limited unless your areas of interest somewhat match my own. (Though I am willing to help match you to those who are masters of their craft in your area of interest.)
  5. In the SCA, you will get out of it what you put into it.  
  6. If you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong.

15 comments:

  1. I found myself talking about this a bit with Sarafina and Maysun over the weekend.  A few years ago when I started making it a serious goal to up my A&S game I more or less decided that I didn't want to pursue an apprentice-laurel relationship, mostly due to distance.  The complete lack of laurels in Arrow's Flight meant I couldn't really cultivate that relationship without a lot of travel and hassle (using resources I didn't really have), so I sort of decided to do it on my own.  Becoming a protege wasn't really in the plan, but it's been a positive thing for both me and my pelican, and it doesn't effect at all my freedom to pursue my artistic goals.

    Talking to Sarafina and Fia,  they both seem more-or-less of the opinion that their a laurel had their back as it were, that they had at least one advocate in a circle who could speak on their behalf, and maybe even come back with ways to improve.  Clearly, I'm not in a position to know what takes place (and they are free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting what they said) and that relationship seems valid, but once again, it's just not for me.  What I end up doing to try and achieve something similar by putting myself out there to be seen, which is probably more difficult but kind of works for me.  Hastings and I try to go up for get togethers and arts events (it's much easier with her around!), and I've made some concerted efforts to display at Laurel's Prize and KA&S.

    I dunno, I guess I feel like I can be properly distant in a meta discussion of this kind because I know I still have a looooong way to go.  It gives me hope that you were able to become a laurel without being an apprentice.  Also, your six thoughts are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's pretty obvious to all who know us that when a "proper" amount of time goes by, I'm going to be asking Serafina if I can be her Apprentice.  Our long friendship aside, I feel that she can motivate me to put more effort into the A&S aspect of my art, instead of just the merchant side.  (In the 20+ years I've been in the SCA, I've never entered an A&S competition...crazy, huh?)  I gave up hoping to find a jewelry Laurel years ago, much less a local one!  The closest arts would be things like casting & metal working which, while interesting to me, are not my main focus, nor can I afford to begin learning them.  So, short of an awesome jewelry Laurel suddenly moving into my area, I feel that apprenticing to a costuming Laurel, especially one who pays close attention to detail and who has amazing tenacity and taste(!), can only help me improve my art.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a very personal choice.  I loved seeing your work in Kingdom Arts and Sciences, and look forward to seeing more from you.  I also know that you know where to seek help if you ever need/want it (because sometimes a second pair of eyes for a few minutes can save a load of headaches).  So yeah, I think you're on the right path for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. (In my best Charlie Sheen impression) Duuh.  I think everyone that knows you knows that's an inevitable match as soon as Serafina's ready.  I'm really excited to see her push you even further because you've come so far already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often admired the fact that you "walked that path alone" as it were.  Not that I think that Laurel/Apprentice relationships are the easy way or anything, but I know it took a lot of courage and strength to do as you did especially with the challenges you were facing both in and out of the SCA at the time. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have I mentioned that you are one of my "SCA Goddesses"?  No flattery here, just plain truth.  If you want an apprentice (or heck, more than one) somehow the right person/s will find you.  Your art shines and so does your personality and there will definitely be those who seek you out for all that you are :) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, uh you're going to wear the "belt 'o doom" at some time?  That would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well put, its an intensely personal journey, any of the relationships are, and sometimes they falter along the way, there are no guarantees, but its a path worth walking at least once. And yes if you aren't having fun you are doing it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I love ya a great deal and thank you for calling me lovely and talented, especially when I feel woefully inadequate when standing in that particular circle with you bevy of beauties.
    Mags is right (way down there). I did this for a bit on my own but in my heart I always wanted a guiding hand. It doesn't mean I will count on my own laurel for everything (hello, shes awesome but even she says she'll point in me in other directions when necessary) but she was the right choice for me both direction, art, and personality wise. I needed a strong female I trusted to be the person to tell me "This is crap, you can do better".
    I want someone to speak on my behalf when the time comes, I also want someone who will make that introduction when my own shyness (no really) comes into play. I am TERRIBLE at asking for help. Horrible at it, I just can't imagine asking someone to help little ole nerdy me to do something. 
    I appreciate the offers you've made for help. Since I want to up my scribal game, don't be surprised if I take you up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaw, thank you!  :)  I've been itching to be her apprentice since, I dunno, FOREVER!  lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehe!  That's what I'm hoping!  But wait, wouldn't that make you my Laurel Grandma???  Interesting genealogy, that.  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for posting these pics Crystal. I havent seen any of the ceremony so far, and I wanted some for me.

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. No problem!  I'm a little sad they're all from behind, but I was trying desperately to edge into the shade.  The sun and I don't get on well.

    ReplyDelete