Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New Studio's Maiden Voyage

So last week we got a warm spell after a horrific winter of snow, snow, and more snow.  We recently moved to an area further up the mountain, and expected to get more snow than we were used to, but this was ridiculous!  The neighbors reported that this was the most snow they'd seen in 30 years.  Lucky us for perfect timing?

Back to the aforementioned warm spell... my studio flooded a little.  Yep.  Seems I'm cursed to have a sewing/art room that is plagued with water.  We are attributing it to the excess snow melting into the foundation area.  Everything is cleaned up and dry now though, so I'm not too panicked (though we're putting a pin in that for later).

This weekend I finally broke in my new studio.  Woo!  Can I just say I LOVE it?  I found I still need to move some things around a bit, to maximize the room's potential.  I worked on a project for the hubby, and gave my new serger its first spin.

I think I need to do more reading/watching videos, and perhaps take a class on sergers.  I haven't used one since my junior high home economics class, and we weren't required to thread those machines. I had a crazy time trying to get the tension right.  It seriously made me want a cocktail.

In other news, I also pulled The Kirk from its sad, dust-gathering perch, finished the sleeve hem, and began couching the gold cord onto the cuffs.  Eight moths later, and I'm finally making serious progress on this thing.



Do you ever have projects that feel like the world is conspiring against you, and you will never finish it?

4 comments:

  1. So glad your studio is working well for you!



    The elizabethan jacket was my project from hell. I bought the fabric in January 2012, started the first mock up in May, second mock up maybe June, third mock up Aug, and got it right with the fourth mock up maybe Sept. Then I avoided cutting it out of the silk for, oh, over a month. But I worked steadily on it, about an hour or two a week, until February, where I kicked my butt to get it done. And I did! Wore it to Coronation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother gifted me fabric that I immediately knew had to be a 'Bethan jacket... 12 years ago or so. Why am I so scared of it? Yay you for getting it done. Why have I not seen pictures???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I'm lazy! I'm tagged in some on FB wearing it. You can look at "photos of me" on my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RAWR! You look great! You should get a post up on your blog ASAP. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete