Friday, July 27, 2012

General Update

I try not to post too much here that is overly personal, mainly because that's what other pages are for.  You're here for the arts and junk, am I right?  I'm breaking that general rule now, but this is slightly related, so forgive me.

I was slated to finish the Kirk tunic this week, in time for Field of the Clothe of Gold.  I worked on it Saturday and felt confident that with Sunday to work on it, and Tuesday to finish it (being a local State holiday), I'd be set to finish both the tunic and make a scroll.  It was not to be.

Sunday morning we ran errands and when I went to the basement at about 2:00 pm to get working, I discovered that the entire basement was flooded.  The carpets in both Sven's office (from which he works daily - a critical part of our livelihood), and my studio were saturated.  There was standing water in the storage closet and at the foot of the stairs, and some water/wetness pretty much everywhere else.

Sunday was therefore spent tracking down the landlords, and disconnecting/moving all electronics in addition to starting the investigation of where on earth the water came from.   The landlords left our home with no answer after looking at all pipes, indoor and out, running sinks,  etc., as well as inspecting ceilings and walls.  They had no answers. Monday was spent emptying the carpeted rooms of everything (no easy task, I assure you), so a carpet guy could come suck up water and start some fans to dry them out.  He couldn't find any answers either.  Add a professional plumber to the list of people who checked everything out to determine a cause. 

The carpets are now dry and tacked back down.  This is a mighty big blessing, as the smell of wet carpet pads and added humidity in the house were making life miserable.  The baseboards and paint job in my studio are in poor shape.  I'd care much more if it were my own home, but as it is, we're likely only to be here a few more months.



It's time to start moving things back in, but must do so in a careful manner, as the cause was never determined, and I worry it will happen again.  I did have some patterns ruined from the mess, but nothing critical or heart-wrenching.  I did have a moment of panic about my Moda a Firenze book though.  Luckily it was sitting on top of some cardboard which soaked up water before getting to the book. 

So anyway, have you ever had disaster strike your "creative zone?"  How did you cope?

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad to hear you guys are ok and didn't lose anything of value...I hope they can get it all dried really well so there isn't a chance of mold making you sick or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. not my creative zone no, but a careless basement landlord at our previous house didn't put his cigarette out all the way, and set the back of that house on fire which included the kitchen. 

    All I can say is thank goodness he was a cheap ass and didn't bother to buy a *real* door for that exit from the house and got a fire/metal door second hand for 10 bucks.. its the only reason our house didn't burn completely to the ground..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit!  No way to recover from that, had it happened. :(  So glad you were lucky in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathlin SommerfieldAugust 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

    Wow.  So sorry to hear you went through that!  Our second day in our (then) new home, the kitchen flooded...all the way into the music room which was supposed to house my grand piano.  The grand hadn't been delivered yet but we had some books and furniture ruined.  It was a completely awful experience.  Insurance took care of the it all and the cause turned out to be a flaw in the dishwasher.  To this day I won't go to sleep if the damn dishwasher is running!  Scarred me for life!

    ReplyDelete