Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Kirk

A few months ago, Sven asked me to make him a Norse tunic inspired by Captain Kirk's gold uniform.  While not necessarily period, I'm making certain concessions because this is what my husband wants, it's fun and silly, and hopefully a few people will "get it," and it will make them smile.  In searching the wonderful web for images, I found two distinctly different uniforms.



The difference here is the gold bands around the wrists (congratulations, Captain Obvious).  Sven picked out a braided gold trim, and asked that we go with two bands instead of trying to do three as the top version has.  I'm glad for many reasons, not the least of which is that middle band appears to be broken/woven into the fabric or something.  Hooray for the easy way out!

The tunic is coming along nicely.  I am felling my seams by machine instead of by hand in order to finish this in time for him to wear to an event on July 28th (which I also have to finish a scroll by, on top of some other artistic endeavors with deadlines).  I am hand sewing and felling the underarm gussets, however.  This is because every time I try to do those by machine I bugger them up.

I also hand finished the neck facing.  Here's some poorly photographed evidence.  More photos will come after it's all finished.


Have you ever used modern things as inspiration for your historical dress?  If so, I'd love to hear about it!

5 comments:

  1. Cathlin SommerfieldJuly 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

    First, I just love your source of inspiration!  That's just so damn cool and geeky all at the same time!  I honestly had a hard time coming up with any modern inspirations for my garb.  I think it might be that I like modern color combos a whole bunch, but that's not nearly as inspired as what you've got happening'! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its fun, its what the SCA is supposed to be, more people should realize that something doesn't have to be perfectly period to be enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! There are some great designers out there.  There's nothing wrong with snagging their color palates. :)  Pintrest can also be an evil source of inspiration. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I absolutely can not wait to see the finished result!  I think it's a great challenge to turn a modern inspiration into a plausibly period outfit, and so far it looks like you're pulling it off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!  I wish I could take credit for the idea.  My husband found the gold linen at fabrics-store.com and demanded that this happen.

    ReplyDelete