Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blackwork'd Caul

This weekend I got a bit of a wild hair to make a new caul - this one blackworked in black silk on linen. I found a scrap of lightweight linen in my stash that would do nicely, but it was not an even weave. In order to get nice, even stitches, I opted to use waste canvas for the first time on a project such as this.

I found a "filler" pattern that I liked in some photocopies of a book on blackwork. I will have to find a copy of that book, just for reference purposes. Whether it is an authentic pattern or not remains to be seen, but it does have the right "feel."

Between the larger motifs on the pattern are little X's, which I may or may not convert to a colored X or into spangles. I haven't quite decided yet.

All of this activity is simply a project to keep my hands busy while my brain percolates on a larger project. Pictures are forthcoming.