Monday, January 12, 2009

New Pelican!

The holidays were lovely - spent in the very strange Oklahoma. The weather patterns there have no pattern. That place is ruled by chaos! :P But it was a wonderful time.

While there, I recieved a phone call from Baroness Bianca, with the news that I was to start on the scroll that I've been itching to do for years - Vilhelm Silverhammer's Pelican. I knew it was just a matter of time; he is such an amazing man and embodies everything I want to be one day.

Unfortunately, with me being in another state, I wasn't able to start the scroll until I returned - giving me a week and a half to get it done. While thrilled for him, I was disappointed that I couldn't do something extremely elaborate (as he deserves) because of this time constraint.

I searched through my library for a piece that would be somewhat masculine, potentially have a layout and design that I wouldn't have to rearrange much, and still show the important elements that had to be in there.

I chose to go with Plate 16 of the Hours of Catherine of Cleves, as it has a pelican in her piety right in the border. There is a combination of acanthus and ivy, and a couple of drolleries that would provide me with a little challenge, but not so much as to kill my deadline.

The Hours of Catherine of Cleves is speculated to be from about 1430. The scan I took unfortunately has two things wrong - the scanner washed out the color a little bit - the yellows are more lemon than the rich gold I used. The other issue is that it didn't quite fit on the scanner bed, so the edges are cut off. Rest assured that there was a sizable border on the original, with plenty of space to accomodate matting and framing, if desired.

The trembling in my hands, a symptom of Graves' Disease, is mostly gone, but it comes back a little when I strain them with tight grips. Unfortunately, that means that when doing calligraphy, by the end I'm pretty shakey and my hand hurts. I do try to balance this out with squeezing a rag in my left hand, and it helps some. I also have to take frequent breaks when the text is long. That's something for me to work on fixing.

I will also note that using red gouache for the blazon was a delight! It was smooth, crisp, and opaque. The quality of paint is a huge factor when using gouache in a pen nib, and I took the time to load the reservoir with a medicine dropper, which helped considerably compared to the last time I did calligraphy with gouache. The down side is that it took a while to get red paint out of my dropper - an important step since I use that dropper to wet all my paints with distilled water.

3 comments:

  1. Most of that sounded like chinese to me but the scroll is beautiful! Good job! I'm so jealous of your many talents! Tell Robert congrats for me, k? Whoa and wait?! Timmur is king? Wow it has been way too long since I have played. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might enjoy this.

    Pelicans and piety.

    From a new novel I wrote.

    James

    ReplyDelete