I created a scroll based on folio 25v this Bohemian Latin Gradual c. 1530, for the Cut and Thrust Champion of Artemisia for the reign of Uther and Kara, won by His Excellency Gabe of Loch Salann. This was done with gouache on Pergamenata, and finetec gold in place of leaf. This was a quick turnaround by my regular standards, but I was excited to get back into a creative space.
As always, I sketch out my border space and test the calligraphy on scratch paper for size and spacing (not shown). I then lay the calligraphy on the perg. I use graph paper and a light panel to help keep things aligned. Since perg is quite translucent, you can see the graph paper behind the first progress photo.
I then sketch out the illumination and begin painting. The final photos are taken at a couple of angles to show how the gold reflects differently.

.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment