Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Gryphon and Tablet Scroll

I was most pleased to be asked to do the Gryphon and Tablet scroll for Fiametta da Trastavere, which is our Baronial award for teaching. Having the honor of being the premier member of the order, I have some vested interest in its membership. Baroness Magistra Fiametta has proven her worthiness of entering this order. 

I struggled with what kind of scroll to do, and even toyed with the idea of a non-traditional award. In the end, I went with tradition, when I found an inspiration piece that screamed Fiametta.

 AN II 3, p. 111v – Matriculation Register of the Rectorate of the University of Basel, Volume 1 (1460-1567)


Fiametta's name means "little flame" and her device includes a flaming heart. The decorative cadel immediately reminded me of flames, and while I didn't see it at first, others pointed out to me that the shape read as a heart, making it even more appropriate.

Close-ups, one with flash, one without


This piece is done on pergamenata with Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi ink and Winsor & Newton gouache. Gold accents are finetec pigments.





No comments:

Post a Comment