Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Five Foundations Challenge

I have decided to join Mistress of Disguise's Five Foundations Challenge this year.

Unlike her awesomely impressive project list of doing five items in each category, I will aim for doing one in each category.  I know my speed, capabilities, and need, and one per category is sufficient for me at this point.

Challenge 1 - Shifts and Chemises

I have been working on embroidery for cuffs and collar for a high-necked smock, and hope to finish that in order to apply it to this challenge.

Challenge 2 - Stays and Corsets

My stays are about five years old, and don't fit well due to weight fluctuations.  I'd like to make a new set in order to make my wardrobe more versatile.  I have several boned kirtles, but that only goes so far.

Challenge 3 - Petticoats

I desperately need more petticoats.  I only have one, and it's getting pretty ragged.  No excuses other than laziness.  I have fabric in the stash - it's time to make it happen.

Challenge 4 - Skirt Supports

This one is a little tougher as I'm in no mood to redo my farthingale as much as it needs it... perhaps a remodel could count?  I need to remove the bones and bleach the living hell out of it, and re-insert the bones as well.  I may also make a corded petticoat - do we think this could count?

Challenge 5 - Finishing Touches

A new pocket needs to happen, and I'm also making several partlets (or at least plan to!)

3 comments:

  1. Mistress of DisguiseDecember 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM

    A redo of the farthingale would definitely count. ^^ I know mine desperately needs a bit of attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to refurbish that old monster but I loathe the idea of making a new one from scratch (laziest costumer EVER). We'll see how it goes. I may get inspired. Lately I wear Italian fashions that don't need farthingales, so that lends itself to looking another direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love petticoats! So quick to make, and so important to the whole costume. I prefer silk ones, but need a wool one. I have made 3 corded petticoats - just finished a white silk taffeta one with only a few rows of cotton cording. It's very effective! Perfect for outfits that need more skirt pouf but not as big as a farthingale. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete