Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Tisket a Tasket; What goes in my Basket


One of the first things you'll learn, whether it's for a day event or a camping event, is there will be things you will regularly need.  This is a list of things I keep in my basket, aside from my mundane wallet, keys, and cell phone, to keep me comfortable in all the modern ways I've grown accustomed to:

  • Painkillers
  • Antacid
  • Glucose Tablets (handy if you know anyone diabetic or hypoglycemic)
  • Small sewing Kit
  • Safety pins
  • Extra ribbon for emergency lacing.
  • Kleenex or handkerchief
  • Hard candy or mints. Breath freshener.
  • Lip balm or gloss
  • Sunscreen (a Jaquelinne MUST-have)
  • Lotion
  • Small snack 
  • Mug or Goblet and Water
  • Fan
  • Wet Ones
  • Umbrella/Parasol depending on weather predictions
  • Small garbage bag.
  • Hair pins and elastic bands
  • Comb and/or hairbrush
  • Event Schedule
  • Small tokens/trinkets to give away to people caught doing something awesome.
  • Notebook with Pens/Pencils
  • Small hand-work project (embroidery, lucet, etc.)
  • Time piece if you don't also have a cell phone (kept on silent!)

You may find this to be an awful lot to haul around (I know I do).  It can be divided into two parts - the things you can leave at "base camp" (typically only a short walk away - be it a grouping of your chairs/tables or a tent on site), and those things you want on your person, always.  Every item here has come in very handy to multiple people in the past.  That's the key - don't hog the haul!  Share your lacing ribbons and safety pins.  It makes everyone have a better time.

If you serve on a retinue, you will find this basket a ready-made retinue basket without any effort, save finding out if your Royal has any allergies/medications/preferred beverages you should be aware of.

What do you keep in your basket?

4 comments:

  1. Now I keep a sundry of baby items in there as well (though now its been cut down. I'm not hauling around the binkies anymore!)
    I keep a list of the books I want, just in case the merchants on site are selling books. Antihistamines or allergy pills. Someone is always asking if I have some. I also keep spare sunglasses. I have super sun sensitive eyes and I try to go as long as possible without them at events.
    Utterly awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to mention sunnies. I'm also super light sensitive. Good idea on the allergy pills! I've never had allergy issues but my honey does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only things in addition that I have in mine are contact solution (Magnus wears them), bandaids, a little single dose of neosporin, lactase pills (I'm lactose intolerant), a tiny can of OFF, a tampon & condoms (both of these are on the off chance someone needs them in a pinch!) & an extra pair of basic earrings, incase I lose one that I am wearing.

    I actually have a hand knitted purse that Lady Ellyn (Niccolo's wife) made years & years ago.  She didn't like the way it turned out so she gave it to me for a steal.  It has always been my little storage space in my basket.  It ALWAYS has everything I need in it! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I LOVE Ellen.  I miss those two, very much.  Great additions to any basket, as well!

    ReplyDelete