One of the first things you'll learn, whether it's for a day event or a camping event, is there will be things you will regularly need. This is a list of things I keep in my basket, aside from my mundane wallet, keys, and cell phone, to keep me comfortable in all the modern ways I've grown accustomed to:
- Glucose Tablets (handy if you know anyone diabetic or hypoglycemic)
- Small sewing Kit
- Safety pins
- Extra ribbon for emergency lacing.
- Kleenex or handkerchief
- Hard candy or mints. Breath freshener.
- Lip balm or gloss
- Sunscreen (a Jaquelinne MUST-have)
- Small snack
- Mug or Goblet and Water
- Wet Ones
- Umbrella/Parasol depending on weather predictions
- Small garbage bag.
- Hair pins and elastic bands
- Comb and/or hairbrush
- Event Schedule
- Small tokens/trinkets to give away to people caught doing something awesome.
- Notebook with Pens/Pencils
- Small hand-work project (embroidery, lucet, etc.)
- Time piece if you don't also have a cell phone (kept on silent!)
You may find this to be an awful lot to haul around (I know I do). It can be divided into two parts - the things you can leave at "base camp" (typically only a short walk away - be it a grouping of your chairs/tables or a tent on site), and those things you want on your person, always. Every item here has come in very handy to multiple people in the past. That's the key - don't hog the haul! Share your lacing ribbons and safety pins. It makes everyone have a better time.
If you serve on a retinue, you will find this basket a ready-made retinue basket without any effort, save finding out if your Royal has any allergies/medications/preferred beverages you should be aware of.
What do you keep in your basket?