Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Birth of Awards

I had a bit of a funny realization this afternoon.

When a new Barony is created in the SCA, awards are thusly created by the Baronage to recognize their populace in various ways. I have had my hand in a good number of the premier scrolls (i.e. the very first recipient) for these new awards. Being the premier of an order is a pretty nifty thing, and I'm honored that I was able to be a part of that experience for the very deserving recipients of these awards.

Cero e Luce/Sero Luce, now called Gryphon and Candle, the Gryphon's Lair Arts and Sciences award:
Bethany of Windermere, Premier
Premier Sero e Luce, Bethany of Windermere

Flame of Pharos, the Gryphon's Lair Service award:
Meraud des Belles Feuilles, Premier
(I did the calligraphy only. Illumination is by Grifon de Radonvilliers.)
Flame of Pharos - Meraud des Belles Feuilles

Vesica Presul, Gryphon's Lair Rapier award:
Vilhelm Silberhammer, Premier
(Calligraphy only, Illumination by Bethany of Windermere.)
Vesica Presul

3 comments:

  1. So I am thinking Gryphon's Lair needs to get on the ball with the archery award and were they thinking of a equestrian award too?
    Also Arn Hold has an award for teaching and I think that would be a great award to suggest for Gryphon's Lair as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we already have a service award, teaching is definitely a special service and one that we need more of and I think an award might inspire more people to do it...maybe? What are your thoughts?
    These would be great things for the new baronage (whoever they may be) to handle during their reign to move us further towards our goals. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more!!  I think a teaching award, as well as the aforementioned archery and equestrian awards, is a fantastic idea.  Arn Hold has some great models and continues to use a University format for students and teachers.  I would love to get people more enthusiastic about these parts of the game.

    ReplyDelete