Thursday, May 26, 2011

Elizabethan / Jacobean Jacket

For many years I've been lusting after Elizabethan Jackets. I feel in love when I saw a fine lady wearing one at Known World Academy of Rapier/Known World Costuming when these two fine events were held together in Outlands, approximately 2003. Yes, I really am this slow to pursuing projects.

Mistress Isobel of Extreme Costuming fame renewed my love for this style with her amazing Maidstone Jacket. When the Plimoth Jacket was finally finished, I was head over heals. I'm not so insane as to think I might finish embroidering a jacket like either of these fine examples though... at least not in the next several years.

Other examples are this, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, ca 1616

and this, from the Art Institute of Chicago

There are examples of some with lower necklines, some with collars, and some without. I think I'd opt for the style above, from the Art Institute of Chicago. I was gifted some interesting fabric from my grandmother, and it screamed "Elizabethan/Jacobean Jacket" to me the second I laid hands on it, and it has been a long-term plan to do this, after finishing a base gown to wear it over. Well, put your hands together folks, as I finished my chocolate kirtle which will also act as petticoat bodies under the long-awaited jacket.


In reality while the browns in these fabrics don't match exactly, they are a much closer match than the image indicates. The pattern is woven, and the fabric has a fascinating texture. I believe it is cotton. I do anticipate making a black skirt to go with this as well, in the future, possibly made of silk taffeta.

7 comments:

  1. Fun!  I've been planning a jacket myself to go with my embroidered coif.  They're just irresistible.  I can't wait to see how yours turns out. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those too! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coif is to die for!  I've been planning one for a while, but it's in its infancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want one too!  I even have a pattern to use as Noelle's jacket fits me very well - or did pre-Ethan at least :)
    We should plan a field trip to Home Fabrics to look for trim and fabrics.  I know you already have fabric, but aren't these rather like potato chips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you know I'm always willing to shop!  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing is, as I was looking around for inspiration on what the fabric should look like on the perfect Elizabethan jacket I clicked on an image I LOVED and lo and behold it was the image of the one with the bright red skirt from your blog.  Srsly....even if we weren't already friends, we'd have had to become friends because of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of Elizabethan/Jacobean jackets, you should check out Crewel (cruel!) Fabric World .com.  Beautiful fabrics with crewel work on them!  Some are on silks, cottons and linens and some on cotton duck which wouldn't work for this, but some are fabu.  Of course the prices are crazy, but still.....

    ReplyDelete